This is such as easy way to get an onion flavour into dishes while keeping it low FODMAP. Chives and the green tops of spring onion are both suitable for use on the low FODMAP diet. I used to just finely chop chives or spring onion to add to a dish at the end of cooking if I was making a low FODMAP meal but I find a better way to give a convincing onion flavour is to make chive cubes, freeze them and just pop one or two cubes into the pan during cooking. It works particularly well for curry, soups and pasta sauces.
- A large handful of chives
- 50ml water
- 2 tbsp Garlic flavoured olive oil
- Roughly chop the chives and place them in a food processor with the water and garlic oil
- Blitz them for a couple of minutes, you may need to use a spatula to scrap the sides after a minute or so
- Spoon the mixture into an ice cube try and freeze into individual blocks
- Once frozen the cubes can be popped out of the tray and placed into a labelled freezer bag and put back into the freezer until needed (this way you can re- use your ice cube tray)